As part of the rich heritage we have received from our forefathers, the annual Sinog-Estokada has been part and parcel of the fiesta celebration of our Patron The Archangel Michael. This dramatized ritual not only gives witness to the historicity of our town, above all it gives us a unique distinction to which we can all identify as true-blue Jagnaanons. However, inasmuch as constant repetition of an old theme could tend to weary the regular onlookers of our annual fiesta pageantry, it has been suggested by some quarters that we elevate tradition towards a novel expression. The intention is not to supplant what our elders have handed down to us but to invest it with a new apparel in keeping with the times and call our attention to its original nature and intent.
II. The Project:
The Sinog-Estokada Jingle Songwriting Contest 2012 is therefore launched today September 20, 2011. The purpose for this early call is to give adequate time to those intending to join the competition. The winning entry will be announced on July 29, 2012 and will then be recorded and released the following month as the Official Jingle of Sinog-Estokada 2012.
III. Contest Guidelines:
1. The songwriting contest is open to all musically-inclined Jagnaanons, either by birth or affiliation. No age limit is set for participating composers.
2. Participating composers may submit more than one entry but not more than two entries.
3. The entry piece should not be less than 2.5 minutes and not to exceed 3.5 minutes. Language used is local Bisayan.
4. The entry piece must adhere to the beat of the traditional Sinog-Estokada rhythm, with only the melodic treatment differing between one and the other entries. While interpretation of the traditional rhythm may be allowed, it should, nonetheless, be recognizably Sinog-Estokada.
5. Entries may submit raw recordings on CD or cassette tape, with tentative vocals accompanied by whatever musical instrument. Each entry must include 5 computerized copies of the lyrics plus the filled Entry Form provided by the Committee. The Filled entry form includes a signed attestation as to the originality of both the lyrics and the melody.
6. The musical composer and lyricist of an entry may be two different persons but if this wins the competition, the prize money must be shared among the two.
7. Deadline for the submission of entries is May 29, 2012.
IV. Contest Mechanics:
1. To assist would-be participants in the Sinog-Estokada Jingle Songwriting Contest 2012, a one-day seminar-workshop on Song & Lyrics writing will be conducted by the Committee on all those who have signed up for the contest from the day of its launching until the date of the said seminar which will take place in March, 2012, or six months after the project’s launching. While this seminar-workshop is not mandatory, this activity will enable participants to fine-tune their compositions according to the intent of the competition, thus giving them a better chance at qualifying for the pre-judging. Those who sign up for the competition after the scheduled seminar-workshop cannot anymore demand for another similar training.
2. Pre-Judging of all entries shall be done on May 29, 2012, through which the TOP 10 entries are picked. All the 10 winners of the Pre-Judging are then given P3,000 pesos to be used in the making of their final musical arrangement, studio recording and interpreter’s fee.
- The TOP 10 entries shall all be presented in the Final Presentation night on July 29, 2012 at the Jagna Gymnasium. On this night, the finalists may employ back-up dancers and additional singers in presenting their numbers, but the Criteria for Judging will only focus on:
Melodic Arrangement 40%
( catchy melody, fidelity to the prescribed beat and rhythm,
And recall value}
Lyrical Content 30%
( clarity of message, language and phrasing)
( Voice Blending and musical arrangement)
Audience Impact 10%
- Prizes: To be determined by Organizers
- The Grand Winner of the Sinog-Estokada Jingle Songwriting Contest 2012 shall be provided with a total grant amounting to P10,000 for the final arrangement and recording of his winning piece. This final recorded form shall then be used by the Sinog-Estokada Jingle Songwriting Committee for the promotional drumbeating of the Sinog-Estokada Festival to be held on September 29, 2012.
- The Grand Winner of the Sinog-Estokada Jingle Songwriting Contest 2012 shall waive his rights in writing in favor of the Overall Fiesta Committee for its own purposes. He may not use his winning piece for any other purposes without the express approval of the Committee.